Freezing Temperatures Can Cause Pipes to Burst
Baby it's Cold Outside!
With the freezing temperatures we are experiencing, it's vital that you know how to prevent pipes from freezing. When water freezes in your pipes, whether due to quick drops in outside temperatures, poor insulation or the thermostat set too low, its volume expands and puts pressure on the pipe from inside. This can cause a burst pipe, but even a small crack or two can be the start of some devastating and expensive water and plumbing damage that would require a professional restoration company like SERVPRO to repair the damage.
Here's a Few Tips To Prevent You From Having to Call us:
Here are just a few tips that you can perform to reduce the chances of you having to give us a call:
• Insulate pipes located in the attic and crawl space using pipe insulation, even if the climate where you live does not often have hard freeze conditions.
• You can also wrap pipes in heat tape or heat cables with a thermostat control. The best pipe insulation for your situation will depend on your home. Always install according to the manufacturer's directions.
• Seal or caulk any cracks that might let in cold air, especially places where pipes run from inside to outside the home, such as dryer vents or water pipes.
• Preventing frozen pipes should be done outdoors as well. As you winterize your home, disconnect your garden hoses.
For any outdoor faucets with cut-off valves, be sure they are closed and faucets are drained. You can also protect them by using faucet covers throughout the winter months.
• If cold weather settles in and you notice temperatures beginning to drop, start a small drip of both hot water and cold water in the kitchen, bath, laundry areas and any other faucets in the home. A small water drip is all that is needed to keep water moving through the system and prevent frozen pipes.
• Be sure to alert a trusted neighbor if you'll be away more than a few days, and ask them to check periodically to make sure that the measures you have taken in preventing frozen pipes worked and that nothing has ruptured.
In the event you experience water damage due to a burst pipe call TEAM WOLFE, we'll make it "Like it never even happened."
Call us 24/7 at (618) 667-8648.