Let's talk about Sump Pumps!
A sump pump can be an effective tool for preventing water damages. They are a water pump that you can place in your basement, crawl space, window wells, or anywhere that could possibly collect water in a bad rainstorm, flood, or even in the case of leaking pipes or appliances. Typically, you place the sump pump in a recessed area or the lowest point of your home or basement in order to automatically pump out any water that may accumulate.
Most sump pumps have a float on them that detects the amount of water coming into the pump. Once the level of water reaches a certain point, the float will trigger the pump to turn on and begin pumping out and draining the water. While there are both automatic and manual types of sump pumps, typically the automatic ones are recommended since they are constantly running in case of quick build ups of water. The manual pumps require someone to turn them on in order for them to work.
Some things to look for while considering a sump pump for your home are:
- Ensure that the pump is correctly sized for your home or property
- Consider a sump pump with an emergency alarm. This will notify you in case of pump failure, loss of power, or low batteries.
- Choose a pump made of sturdy materials that will hold up for a long period of time.
- Ensure that the pump you choose has a cord that will reach the nearest outlet and is compatible with your outlets in your home.
- Consider a pump with a battery backup option in case of power loss
Here at SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy we hope that you and your home stay safe and dry! If you have any questions about water damages or any other cleaning or restoration related needs, please contact our office at 618-667-8648.
What do you get when you choose SERVPRO?
The company you choose for your cleaning and restoration needs is an important decision. You want to ensure that you choose a company you can trust to get the job done quickly and efficiently, as well as to keep an open line of communication with you throughout the entire process. When you choose SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy to be your trusted company in the Madison County area you are getting several different things that include but are not limited to the following.
- We include you in every decision. We will work with and for you until the job is complete. Our team will communicate with you throughout the entire process as our main goal is to see you at your family happy and worry free!
- Our team utilizes the latest technology and equipment in order to ensure that your property and belongings are restored as quickly and professionally as possible.
- We will help with any cleaning or restoration needs, no matter how large or small.
- Our rule of thumb is to try and restore items whenever possible, but in case of loss we will provide you with an itemized list, along with pictures, in order to make the process as easy as possible for you.
- We respond to each call as quickly as possible. Our team is available 24/7 because we understand that emergencies can happen at any time.
- The crew members of our restoration team are trained in the latest techniques and technology so that they can get the job done quickly and efficiently every time.
Services we offer at SERVPRO
Here at SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy, we offer a wide variety of services to meet all of your cleaning and restoration needs. Our friendly and qualified team is available 24/7 in order to be available whenever an emergency may occur and to ensure that all of your questions are able to be answered in a timely manner. If there is a service that you need that we do not offer, we can work with our team of trusted contractors in order to get the job done quickly and efficiently. This ensures quality work, less stress on you, and an open line of communication.
Some of the services that we offer for your Madison County home or business include but are not limited to:
- Water damage cleanup
- Mold remediation
- Storm damage cleanup
- Fire damage restoration
- Residential and commercial carpet and upholstery cleaning
- Ductwork and HVAC cleaning
- Sewage cleanup
- Odor removal
- Biohazard cleanup
- Trauma and crime scene cleanup
If you have any questions about any of the services, we offer at SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy, feel free to contact our experienced team at 618-667-6848.
Signs that you may need a new water heater
A water heater is a critical household appliance, especially in the winter months. It provides hot water for showers, washing dishes, laundry, and so much more. It is important to stay aware of the condition of your hot water heater so that you and your Madison County home never get left with cold water. A leaking or damaged hot water heater can also cause water damage and significant damage to your home or property. Some signs that you can look for may be:
- Unusual noises – Typically a water heater makes some noises that would just become routine to hear, you may not notice them on a daily basis. However, if you hear anything unusual such as banging or clanging sounds, creaks or whines you should contact a repair person right away. This could be a sign that the heating element on the hot water heater is wearing out and unable to keep up with the demand of the hot water supply.
- Rust around the base of the hot water heater – This could be a sign that your tank is leaking or beginning to gather moisture. Catching this problem early on could help you to avoid a water damage.
- Variance in the temperature of your water- Is your water too hot? Not hot enough? This could be a sign that your water heater needs repaired or replaced. It may just need repairs or a part replaced, but it is always a good idea to have the entire unit checked for leaks or other potential problems at the same time.
- Hard water – If you live in an area known for hard water, and experience one or more of these signs you may have sediment gathered in the bottom your hot water tank. This would require the tank to be flushed to remove the sediment. If the problem is not treated, then the motor on your hot water tank could quit working or burn out.
If you have any questions about water damages, or the restoration process, call SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy at 618-667-8648. Our friendly and qualified team is available 24/7.
Winter Weather Alerts
The weather can change quickly and go from being warm and sunny one day, to overcast and snowing the next. It is important to keep an eye on the weather reports in order to be properly prepared for the day. Weather alerts can be confusing as there are many different technical terms and meanings. At SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy we want you stay safe and ahead of any weather events that may occur. Below, we are going to talk about some of the different weather warning messages you may see.
- Winter Weather Advisory – An advisory occurs when less than 6 inches of snow or less than ¼ an inch of ice is expected to accumulate. It is still very important to stay updated on the weather and to be prepared because an advisory can quickly turn into a winter storm warning.
- Winter Storm Warning – A winter storm warning is issued when 6 inches or more of snow is expected, or a combination of winter weather such as snow, ice, sleet, or high winds may occur.
- Blizzard Warning – A blizzard warning will occur when winds of over 35mph are predicted for more than three hours at a time along with lots of snow fall or snow that has already fallen that could blow around and reduce visibility.
- Ice Storm Warning – This occurs when ¼ an inch of more of ice is expected to accumulate.
- Wind Chill – This is more than just the temperature outside, this is talking about how cold it is with the moving air of the wind. It is typically colder than the temperature outside so it's important to look at both the temperature and the wind chill.
- Wind Chill Advisory – A wind chill advisory is when the wind chill is –15 degrees to –25 degrees. The winds must also be 10mph or higher.
- Wind Chill Warning – A wind chill warning means that the wind chill is over –25 degrees and the winds are 10mph or higher.
Warning signs of Water Damage
Flood waters. Leaking roofs. Burst pipes. Leaky or malfunctioning appliances such as dishwashers, air conditioners, or water heaters. Though these problems are all different, they have one thing in common. They all can cause water damage and destruction of property.
Water damage can be caused with a small amount of water or a large amount. It can also be caused by damp air or humidity. Due to this, there are times when water damage occurs when there is no or very little visible signs of water in the area. These are some of the warning signs to look for that may show you that there is water damage occurring.
- Damp or rainy weather that is persistent. This can cause an excess of moisture in the air, and the rain can cause flooding to occur.
- Standing water that is reoccurring in any area of your home.
- Leaks or drips in plumbing, hoses, or appliances. These can leak slowly over time which will both cause damage and raise you water bill.
- Bad smells. Mold and bacteria that comes from water damage may result in stale, musty odor.
- Stains or spots. Water damage may cause spots or mold stains on walls or ceilings. You may also notice peeling or flaking paint.
- Uneven surfaces. Water damage may cause surfaces such as walls, floors, or ceilings to bend or warp.
If you see any of these signs or have any questions or concerns about water damage please contact our experienced team at SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy at 618-667-8648.
How can SERVPRO help you during a water damage?
It is important to begin the clean-up and restoration process quickly after a water damage. This will help to prevent further damage and potential mold problems, as well as to alleviate stress on the homeowner or property owner.
At SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy, we strive to arrive at each job no less than four hours after receiving the phone call and request to send out a crew. Our team is on call 24/7 and prepared to offer friendly, quick, and professional service at all hours.
The steps we follow for a water damage are as follows:
Our experienced team will walk through the property in order to determine the amount of damage and the best way to begin the restoration process. We will take photos, and communicate with the homeowner or property owner and the insurance company to ensure that everyone is informed and on the same page.
We are available 24/7 for emergency services, including all holidays. These could include but are not limited to, extracting water, setting up drying equipment, placing tarps or boards to block leaks and prevent further damage.
We will send a team to monitor all equipment to ensure that the drying process is going smoothly and to keep you updated all along the way.
After the drying process is completed, our team will clean any damaged areas and contents. We will also finish the restoration process by installing new carpeting or repainting walls as needed. A final walk through will always be completed with the homeowner to ensure that the job is completed to your satisfaction.
If you have any questions regarding water damages call us at any time at 618-667-8648. Our experienced team is always happy to help!
Keeping your pets safe in an emergency.
While developing an emergency plan for your family, it is important to consider the safety of your pets as well. Disasters such as storms, fires, earthquakes, tornadoes, or floods can also affect your pets. There are many different ways that you can prepare your pets for an emergency.
- Place a sticker by your front door with all of your pet's information on it. This can include their name, breed, medical information, and any other information that may be needed. If an evacuation ever occurs, you can mark down on the sticker that your pets have been evacuated to alert rescuers.
- Ensure that pets can be identified. Attach a physical tag to their collar and ensure that current contact information is included on it. Consider microchipping your pets. This will allow a veterinarian or other rescue group to identify your pet and retrieve your contact information if your pet gets separated from you or lost.
- Have an emergency bag prepared with food, water, bowls, and a leash for your pets. Also consider including any medicines or first aid items they may need.
- In case of an emergency or natural disaster, be aware of what emergency shelters, kennels and/or vets in the area may accept pets. This list could also include hotels that accept pets or family friends that may be willing to provide care for them.
At SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy, we want to ensure that your entire family, including pets stay safe. Having an emergency plan prepared, staying aware, and having a bag packed may help to keep your pets safe and more comfortable in case of an emergency.
Restoring your business after a pipe bursts
When a pipe bursts in your business it can cause many problems and at times slow or bring business to a halt. Our goals at SERVPRO of Belleville–O'Fallon are to efficiently clean and restore your business after a burst pipe in order to get your business up and running as quickly as possible. There are also times when we can contain the damage and restoration process to one area in order to keep your business running while our team completes the job.
If your business experiences a burst pipe there are a couple of steps to the process:
1) Call a professional cleaning and restoration company
In order to quickly clean and repair the damage caused by a burst pipe, contact a professional restoration company. The team at SERVPRO of Belleville-O'Fallon is available 24/7 to answer questions, complete an estimate, and dispatch a crew to get your business back up and running quickly.
2) Remove all of the water and dry the area
Once the crew is dispatched they will work quickly using specialized equipment to extract all of the water from the area. They will then use fans and dehumidifiers to ensure that the area is dry and free of excess moisture.
3) Sanitize the area
It is important to ensure that the area is sanitized and clean to ensure that mold or other bacteria does not grow or spread. Our team is experienced and trained to use specialized cleaning products to sanitize and prevent any further damage.
4) Complete any necessary and final repairs
Our team will walk through and ensure that all repairs are completed and that your business is back to looking “Like it never even happened”.
Tips for ensuring a fun and safe Thanksgiving!
Thanksgiving is known for being a time for being thankful, recognizing the good things in our lives, enjoying good food, and spending time with friends. However, it is also knowing for being a time when many difference kitchen accidents, including fires, can occur. Here at SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy, we want you to be able to enjoy your holiday with your family, so we put together a list of easy suggestions for having a safe and fun holiday.
- Check all smoke detectors in the home to ensure that they are working and have working batteries in them.
- Ensure that there is a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and that the individuals in the household have been trained on how to use it.
- Have an emergency plan and escape routes mapped out in case of an emergency
- Encourage children to stay out of the kitchen or cooking area to minimize accidents
- Try to keep toys and other items off of the kitchen floor and counters, and ensure that there are no appliance cords left dangling on the counter.
- Remain in the kitchen while cooking food on the stove top
- Stay at home while the turkey is in the oven and check on it frequently
We hope that your holiday is full of fun, memories, and delicious food! If a fire or other emergency does occur, our team can be contacted 24 hours a day at 618-667-8648.