We are in the first weeks of Spring, and although it is always good to see the sunshine, hear the birds chirping, and see the grass beginning to turn green, there are some other parts of Spring that we must be prepared for. Here in the Midwest, and in Madison County, we must consider that this time of the year can also bring many storms and rain showers. This can also mean the risk of flooding or tornadoes. While preparing for this potentially rainy season, some things to be aware of are:
- Have you checked your sump pump?- Sump pump failures can be a cause of many water related emergencies. It is important to check that your sump pump is working properly, plugged in, and has a working battery backup if it has that feature.
- Your insurance coverage – Check your insurance coverage to see what would be considered a coverable loss. Consider making any changes to your insurance policy that you think might be necessary. It is always a good idea to be knowledgeable and prepared in case an emergency happens.
- Have an updated home inventory – While this can feel like an overwhelming task, it can be an invaluable resource in in the case of an emergency. There are many apps that are available to help you create a running list of the items that you have in your household. This list can help immensely in the event that you need to ever file an insurance claim. Another way to record items in your house is to record a video of each room in your house. Don’t forget to include areas such as closets or in drawers. Be sure to include serial numbers when applicable and ensure that the video is backed up somewhere that you can access it remotely if needed.
- Have an emergency plan prepared for you and your family – This may include such as things as having copies of important papers such as insurance or medical information backed up and stored in a safe place, having an idea of where your family and pets could go in an emergency, and having a list of emergency contacts prepared. Knowing this information and being prepared can lessen panic and help to ease the chaos that an emergency situation may bring.
All of us at SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy are wishing you a safe and dry spring season. However, if you should be affected by spring storms or any other emergency, our experienced team is available 24/7. Contact our office at any time at 618-667-8648.
Why do Sump Pumps Fail?
Spring has sprung, and while we always hope that will mean sunny skies and warm weather, we in the Midwest know that that can also bring rainstorms and lots of wet weather. Many households in Madison County have sump pumps to help prevent flooding in rainy weather or in even in the case of other types of flooding. A sump pump typically kicks on when water is detected in an area and diverts that water to somewhere that it can safely drain. There are many different parts and variables to a sump pump, and if one of those is not working correctly, the entire system can fail. Some other thoughts to consider for sump pump safety are -
- Installation – It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully while installing a sump pump. Improper installation can void the warranty and potentially cause your sump pump to fail.
- Maintenance- It is important to check your sump pump 3-4 times a year to ensure that it is still working properly. It may also be helpful to check on it before the start of a rainy season or if a large rainstorm or other weather event is predicted. This helps to ensure that your pump will be working and ready to go when you may need it most.
- Power outage – Sump pumps typically do not have their own power system and are plugged into the homes power supply, so if the power goes out, the sump pump also shuts off. Some things to consider are to purchase a sump pump with a battery backup system, a sump pump that has an emergency alarm that will alert you if there is no power to the sump pump, or having a backup generator that can supply power in the case of an outage.
- Ensure that your sump pump is the correct size for the space – It is important to choose the correct size sump pump for the area it is being used for. It may be useful to consult with a professional in order to ensure that the sump pump you choose will be efficient for your home or business. A pump that is too large may have to overwork to adjust for less water being drained and wear out more quickly. One that is too small will likely not be able to keep up with the amount of water produced.
If you have any questions or concerns about water damage in your Collinsville home or business, call SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy at 618-667-8648. Our friendly and experienced team is available 24/7 because we know that emergencies can happen at any time.
SERVPRO is here to help in this time of need
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning
If your home or business needs deep cleaning services, or if you have any questions call SERVPRO of Collinsville-Troy today at (618)667-8648.
Services for Commercial Properties
There are many different services that we offer for commercial properties. We understand that it is difficult at times to schedule services during business hours, so we can work with you to find a time that best fits you and your company's needs. If needed we can work in one section at a time in order to keep your business open while we work, or we can attempt to schedule it before or after business hours.
In addition to our emergency water, fire, and storm clean up services we also offer many other cleaning services. These include, but are not limited to:
- Air Ducts and HVAC
- Carpet and Upholstery
- Ceilings, Floors, and Walls
- Drapes and Blinds
- Odor Removal
- Trauma and Crime Scene
If you have any questions about our commercial services for your Madison County business or commercial property please call our friendly and experienced team at (618) 667-8648. Our team is available 24/7 because we know that emergencies can occur at any time, and a quick response is a necessity.
Winter Fire Safety Tips
Fires can occur at any time, but there is often an increased risk of fires in the winter. There are several factors that can cause this increase.
- Increased candle usage
- Winter storms
- Improper use of portable generators
- Using different methods to heat the home. - This can include using space heaters, fireplaces, or wood stoves
Some easy tips to prevent fires and practice fire safety in your Madison County home are:
- If you use a space heater or portable heater in your home ensure that it has an auto shut off feature in case it ever tips over or falls.
- Plug space heaters or portable heaters directly into an outlet, do not use extension cords or power strips
- Turn space heaters or portable heaters off before leaving the room or house.
- While using a fire place, place a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace to prevent embers or sparks from catching anything nearby on fire.
- Keep anything flammable or that could catch on fire at least 3 feet away from any heat sources or open flames.
- Install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in each room of the house and check them monthly to ensure they are working and have working batteries in them.
- Have a professional clean and inspect your chimney and vents yearly.
- Place candles on a sturdy surface and ensure there is nothing flammable nearby them
- Ensure that you extinguish any candles before leaving the room or going to sleep
If you have any questions about fire restoration or any other cleaning and restoration needs, contact our office at 618-667-8648. Our friendly, experienced team is available 24/7 because we know that emergencies can happen at anytime.
I contacted SERVPRO, what happens next?
We know the importance of acting quickly after experiencing fire, water, mold or any other type of damage to your home or property. As time passes, the damage can worsen or spread to other areas. Our team is available 24/7 in order to be able to quickly respond after any type of emergency or disaster. After you contact SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy with questions about the cleaning and restoration services that we offer, there are several steps that will be taken. First, on the phone we will answer any questions that you have to the best of our abilities and set up a time to have one of our team members come out to your location.
We respond quickly – We try our best to return any phone calls within an hour, and to get a crew on site to your location within four hours. This ensures that we can quickly gauge the damage and begin taking steps to ensure that the damage does not progress.
Arrival on site – Once we arrive on site, one of our highly trained CSR’s will walk through and inspect the damage. They may take photos to share with your insurance company as we work with them as well through every step of the process. They will talk to you about the damage that they see, and the best way to begin the restoration process.
Restoration – After the inspection, our efficient crew will arrive on scene and begin implementing the plan that was put in place by the CSR. Throughout this process we will continue to communicate with both you and your insurance company to make sure that everyone stays informed and on the same page.
If you have any questions about cleaning and restoration services for your Madison County home or business, call our friendly and qualified team today at 618-667-8648.
Steps to the Water Damage Restoration Process
While every water damage emergency is unique and may need to be treated a little differently, at SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy we have a few steps that we follow for every emergency to make it easier on you and to ensure that we make it “Like it never even happened.”
- Initial contact - First, we receive a call from the homeowner. Our team is available 24/7 in order to be quickly available in an emergency. We will ask several questions in order to fully understand the situation and be able to get a crew out as soon as possible.
- Inspection/Assessment - One of our highly trained CSR’s will come out to the property to assess the scope of the damage, answer any further questions you may have, and find out what steps need to be taken to complete the restoration process.
- Water extraction – Our efficient crew will come and complete the water extraction process. We use powerful pumps and vacuum units to remove the excess water from the property.
- Drying – We set up fans and dehumidifiers in order to quickly dry out the area. Our crew will monitor the equipment to ensure that it is working properly and is set up efficiently.
- Cleaning and Sanitizing – Our crew will clean all surfaces and belongings that were affected by the water damage. We have many different techniques for restoring your belongings and ensuring that no lingering odors or signs of damage remain.
- Restoration – The final step is to ensure that your home is put back to pre-damage condition. This may include repainting areas or replacing carpeting, drywall, or trim.
Throughout this entire process our team strives to stay in communication with the homeowner or property owner. We want to ensure that you are informed and involved every step of the way to make it as easy and stress-free as we can. If you have any questions about water damages or the restoration process, call SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy at 618-667-8648.
Let's talk about Sump Pumps!
A sump pump can be an effective tool for preventing water damages. They are a water pump that you can place in your basement, crawl space, window wells, or anywhere that could possibly collect water in a bad rainstorm, flood, or even in the case of leaking pipes or appliances. Typically, you place the sump pump in a recessed area or the lowest point of your home or basement in order to automatically pump out any water that may accumulate.
Most sump pumps have a float on them that detects the amount of water coming into the pump. Once the level of water reaches a certain point, the float will trigger the pump to turn on and begin pumping out and draining the water. While there are both automatic and manual types of sump pumps, typically the automatic ones are recommended since they are constantly running in case of quick build ups of water. The manual pumps require someone to turn them on in order for them to work.
Some things to look for while considering a sump pump for your home are:
- Ensure that the pump is correctly sized for your home or property
- Consider a sump pump with an emergency alarm. This will notify you in case of pump failure, loss of power, or low batteries.
- Choose a pump made of sturdy materials that will hold up for a long period of time.
- Ensure that the pump you choose has a cord that will reach the nearest outlet and is compatible with your outlets in your home.
- Consider a pump with a battery backup option in case of power loss
Here at SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy we hope that you and your home stay safe and dry! If you have any questions about water damages or any other cleaning or restoration related needs, please contact our office at 618-667-8648.
What do you get when you choose SERVPRO?
The company you choose for your cleaning and restoration needs is an important decision. You want to ensure that you choose a company you can trust to get the job done quickly and efficiently, as well as to keep an open line of communication with you throughout the entire process. When you choose SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy to be your trusted company in the Madison County area you are getting several different things that include but are not limited to the following.
- We include you in every decision. We will work with and for you until the job is complete. Our team will communicate with you throughout the entire process as our main goal is to see you at your family happy and worry free!
- Our team utilizes the latest technology and equipment in order to ensure that your property and belongings are restored as quickly and professionally as possible.
- We will help with any cleaning or restoration needs, no matter how large or small.
- Our rule of thumb is to try and restore items whenever possible, but in case of loss we will provide you with an itemized list, along with pictures, in order to make the process as easy as possible for you.
- We respond to each call as quickly as possible. Our team is available 24/7 because we understand that emergencies can happen at any time.
- The crew members of our restoration team are trained in the latest techniques and technology so that they can get the job done quickly and efficiently every time.
Services we offer at SERVPRO
Here at SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy, we offer a wide variety of services to meet all of your cleaning and restoration needs. Our friendly and qualified team is available 24/7 in order to be available whenever an emergency may occur and to ensure that all of your questions are able to be answered in a timely manner. If there is a service that you need that we do not offer, we can work with our team of trusted contractors in order to get the job done quickly and efficiently. This ensures quality work, less stress on you, and an open line of communication.
Some of the services that we offer for your Madison County home or business include but are not limited to:
- Water damage cleanup
- Mold remediation
- Storm damage cleanup
- Fire damage restoration
- Residential and commercial carpet and upholstery cleaning
- Ductwork and HVAC cleaning
- Sewage cleanup
- Odor removal
- Biohazard cleanup
- Trauma and crime scene cleanup
If you have any questions about any of the services, we offer at SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy, feel free to contact our experienced team at 618-667-6848.