Flood Water Tips
During this time of year, we see a lot of rain in the Madison County area. Across the United States though, flooding is one of the most commonly widespread weather-related disasters. Whether your home or business is in the country, in town or near a river there is always potential for flood damage Though you may have never experienced a flood in the past, there’s no level of security to assure that you will not in the future. Did you know that 20% of all claims paid by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) were for policies in low-risk communities? According to the American Red Cross (ARC), floods cause more damage in the U.S. every year than any other weather-related disaster. The ARC offers the following safety tips:
Stay away from floodwaters
If you approach a flowing stream where water is above your ankles, stop, turn around, and go another way. Six inches of swiftly moving water can sweep you off of your feet.
Driving on a flooded road
Turn around and go another way. If you are caught on a flooded road and water are rising rapidly around you, get out of the car quickly and move to higher ground. Most cars can be swept away by less than two feet of moving water.
Keep children out of the water
They are curious and often lack judgment about running water or contaminated water.
SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy is prepared to handle any size disaster. Call SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy at 618-667-8648 for flood cleanup. Always be prepared and ready. Even minor floods have the potential to cause major damage to a structure when not treated quickly and properly, and the cleanup is often an overwhelming task. SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy is prepared to handle any size disaster. The quicker work begins; the earlier your home or business can return to “Like it never even happened.”
Steps to Take Immediately After Storm Damage
Take Safety Precautions
Heavy winds and rain can create physical hazards such as collapsed roofing materials, window damage, collapsed walls or standing water in the basement or home interior. In addition, moisture can soak into furniture, carpeting, and building materials making the perfect environment for mold growth that can cause health issues. Shut off the main gas line if you smell gas. Beware of broken glass, exposed nails, and other sharp objects on the property. Contact SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy to help do basic tasks to secure your property and make it safe to use. If necessary, arrange for an alternative place for you and your family to live while your property is being restored to safe living condition.
Photograph the Damage
If it is safe to move around your property, use your cellphone or a camera to photograph the damage so that you will have a record for your insurance company. This action will ensure that you are fully compensated.
Contact Your Insurance Company
Contact your insurance agent to notify them about the damage to your home immediately. The company will send out an adjustor to determine the extent of the damage so that payment for repairs can be made.
Look Into Federal Disaster Assistance
The federal government may have declared the area affected by the storm as a disaster area that is eligible for low-cost loans to help restore your property to normal. You will be required to file documents to receive these loans.
When a storm-related disaster strikes, it may seem overwhelming, but these steps can help you to begin the process of restoring your home, and your life, to normal. At SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy, we provide 24-hour emergency disaster service. We specialize in the stabilization and restoration of homes and businesses that have suffered small or large loss from water, flood, wind, storm, fire damage, and smoke disaster.
Call SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy at 618-667-8648
Had a Disaster? How to Choose the Right Restoration Company
SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy, we are here to make your disaster "Like it never even happened."
Disasters are devastating. Whether caused by water, fire, or storms, they can turn your world upside down in a matter of moments. Even the strongest of us can feel helpless, not knowing where to turn after a catastrophe. But fortunately for you, SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy is nearby and stands ready to help you.
Three of the Best Reasons to Use SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy
- TRAINING – We never stop learning and honing our skills. We’re trained to IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) high standards in fire and water cleanup and restoration, mold remediation, carpet and upholstery cleaning, and other cleaning and restoration courses. Additionally, our industry professionals regularly attend SERVPRO continuing education classes.
- Equipment – We use the professional equipment needed to completely clean and remove the effects of water, mold, soot, smoke, odor and more. During the past few years, there’s been a rapid advancement in the technology and techniques used in the restoration industry. These advancements allow SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy to restore your property quickly, reliably, and more effectively.
- EXPERIENCE – SERVPRO is not some fly-by-night type of company. They started over 50 years ago and currently have over 1,700 franchises nationwide. The owners SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy is proud to have been in business in the St. Clair/Madison county area for over 25 years! The extensive knowledge we’ve gained during that time makes us the go-to disaster restoration company to call. Our experience will enhance your experience with us!
But why SERVPRO? After all, there are other companies who make the same claims. Why not just pick one out of a hat? Consider this: if you have to undergo surgery due to a dangerous and life-threatening condition, wouldn’t you insist on having a surgeon with extensive training, years of experience, and a sterling reputation to get you back to good health? Well, your property is probably the biggest investment you’ll make in your lifetime, so it’s also very important to have a company with the knowledge, experience and reputation you can trust to return your property to its preloss condition or better and so make your disaster "Like it never even happened."
We sincerely hope that you’ll never be in a situation where you need to call a disaster restoration company. But if you do, give us a shout at 618-667-8648 and we’ll make the event as painless as possible.
What You Can Do For Storm Damage After Calling SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy
What you can do until help arrives
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy at 618-667-8648
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Are you and your employees prepared?
If an emergency were to happen in your business today, would you and all employees be prepared? If your answer is no then don’t be frightened! SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy is here to help! We can come out to your business and set up an Emergency Ready Plan for FREE!
What is an Emergency Ready Plan aka ERP? An ERP is a packet for you and your employees to have to help keep everyone calm during an emergency. The packet includes a property overview, building access information, an emergency action checklist, contact information for the local Fire Department, Police Department, and Hospital, pictures of all shut off valves and description of location, and more. We can add any information you think would be necessary for an emergency. For example: we can add photos and locations of all fire extinguishers, add a map for fire routes, and even add where the safe areas are for a tornado or earthquakes.
Give us a call at 618-667-8648 to set up an appointment for you FREE ERP!
Have a leak or a mold problem? Call the experts!
With the snow melting and the rain we had the chances of water leaking into your home or business is higher. If you notice a leak or areas that are wet; we recommend finding the problem and fixing it as soon as possible. Mold can grow from just the smallest amount of moisture in your home. Properly drying out the wet areas will lessen your chance of mold. If you notice any mold growth contact SERVPRO to come in and start the remediation process. Leaving mold untreated can be very harmful to you, your family, workers, and customers.
There are three signs of mold you can check for.
2. Strong musty odors
3. Excessive humidity
If you see any of these three signs give us a call. We are available 24/7 to take your calls and to service your needs. Let SERVPRO keep your home or business safe by doing what needs to be done to clean it. Don’t wait too long to give us a call. The sooner you call the sooner your home or business will be safer and mold FREE.
Give us a call at 618-667-8648
Continuing Education Classes!
Attention all property insurance agents and adjusters! SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy hosts many FREE continuing education classes throughout the year at their office located in Troy, IL.
We have a class coming up quickly! It will be held on Tuesday April 23. There will be a morning class and an afternoon class. You can attended one or both.
The morning class will be from 9am-12pm and the topic will be Ethics and Professional Standards 2019.
The afternoon class will be from 1pm-5pm and the topic will be Water, Biohazards, Trauma & Hoarding Claims.
If you are needing to get your hours done this year please contact our office at 618-667-8648 and we can fax you an enrollment form. These classes do fill up quickly!
Fire safety tips
In the last few weeks there have been multiple fires in the surrounding areas and I wanted to take this time to remind everyone to be prepared by following the fire safety guidelines listed below:
- Everyone in your household should help make a plan. Walk through your home and inspect all possible exits and escape routes.
- A closed door may slow the spread of smoke, heat and fire. Install smoke alarms in every sleeping room, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home.
- Everyone in the household must understand the escape plan. When you walk through your plan, check to make sure the escape routes are clear and doors and windows can be opened easily.
- Choose an outside meeting place a safe distance in front of your home where everyone can meet after they've escaped. Make sure to mark the location of the meeting place on your escape plan.
- Go outside to see if your street number is clearly visible from the road. If not, paint it on the curb or install house numbers to ensure that responding emergency personnel can find your home.
- Have everyone memorize the emergency phone number of the fire department. That way any member of the household can call from a neighbor's home or a cellular phone once safely outside.
- If there are infants or family members with mobility limitations, make sure that someone is assigned to assist them in the fire drill and in the event of an emergency. Assign a backup person too, in case the designee is not home during the emergency.
- If windows or doors in your home have security bars make sure that the bars have emergency release devices inside so that they can be opened immediately in an emergency. Emergency release devices won't compromise your security - but they will increase your chances of safely escaping a home fire.
- Tell guests or visitors to your home about your family's fire escape plan. When staying overnight at other people's homes, ask about their escape plan. If they don't have a plan in place, offer to help them make one. This is especially important when children are permitted to attend "sleepovers" at friends' homes.
- Be fully prepared for a real fire: when a smoke alarm sounds, get out immediately.
- Once you're out, stay out! Under no circumstances should you ever go back into a burning building. If someone is missing, inform the fire department dispatcher when you call. Firefighters have the skills and equipment to perform rescues.
We have rain, snow, hot and cold! Keep your eye on the weather!
Between temperatures going up and down, the snow melting and the amount of rain we have been getting; the chances of pipe breaks, sump pump back ups, and flooded homes are higher!
SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy is available no matter what day or what time for your calls and to start work. Whether you want an estimate before work is started or you want a crew out working in the middle of the night; we are here!
We will work with your insurance company or with you if the job will be self pay. Don't hesitate to ask us questions. Our staff is here to assist you and assure you the clean up and restoration will be done the right way.
If you need us call us at 618-667-8648
Prevent Your Pipes from Freezing
When the temperatures drop prepare your home or business to prevent your pipes from freezing. If your pipes freeze the chance of them bursting is much greater. Here are a few tips to help prevent your pipes form freezing.
- Keep garage and exterior doors closed as much as possible.
- Make sure no cold air is leaking through your windows or doors.
- Keep your thermostat set to the same temperature during the day and night.
- If you will be going away for a few days or more keep the heat running and set no lower than 55 degrees.
Dealing with a water damage is stressful especially during the Holiday season. SERVPRO of Collinsville/Troy is always here to help in your time of need.
Give us a call at 618-667-8648.